[openstack-dev] [tc] Who is allowed to vote for TC candidates

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue May 5 16:14:00 UTC 2015

Le 05/05/2015 18:00, Thierry Carrez a écrit :
> Maish Saidel-Keesing wrote:
>> It is not only the representation - it is also action on the feedback.
>>
>> There was an OPS summit not so long ago in Philadelphia [1]. Two full
>> days. I personally did not participate but from what I heard it was a
>> good two days of discussions.
> It was. I was there. So were other TC members and PTLs.
>
>> There are at least 10 etherpads (Yay!! The OpenStack way of doing
>> things!) that summarized the thoughts and concerns of the participants.
>>
>> I think it would be fair to ask - how many actionable items came out of
>> the this meeting that were implemented in any of the projects? If anyone
>> has answers - they would be highly appreciated.
>> Did the TC follow up on these items?
>> Did the PTL's? (I know some of the PTL's were present there at the summit)
> Actually, we did. For example we talked about tags, and ops clearly
> expressed (1) the need for a kernel/compute base tag and (2) the
> intention to form a workgroup to define tags around operational
> maturity. For (1) the tag was just proposed, and for (2) an Ops
> workgroup has been created.
>
> As far as "implemented in any of the projects" go, I think you have a
> weird idea of the timeframe involved. The PHL meetup was in March, after
> the Kilo feature freeze. Way past time to implement anything in any project.
>
>> Now you might say - that is not their job, but I do think that it should
>> be. The developer teams are asking for feedback the whole time. Saying
>> that Operators are not sending it back their way. Here they are. What
>> was done with all of this?
> It's also interesting to note that in most of those sessions, we ended
> up with actions on the corresponding ops workgroup side to define the
> problem space and push the issue further, not actions on developers to
> pick up the etherpad and derive actions from it.
>
> I am not sure we live in the Ops vs. Dev world you seem to live in.
> There were Ops, there were Devs (and other contributors) present in that
> meetup and I didn't feel any of that "us vs. them" attitude there.

Could we please stop to consider Ops and Devs as distinct groups of
people ? Some Ops are also contributing to bugfixing or documentation,
and some devs are also internal ops for their own company cloud.

We're far from a world where people are not speaking the same language.
They do, and OpenStack is so big that by some extend, Ops need to
understand code and Devs need to understand Ops.

At least one good opportunity for seeing how things are is just to
attend an Upstream Training course and see the audience.