[openstack-dev] [PKG-Openstack-devel][horizon][xstatic] XStatic-Angular-Bootstrap in violation of the MIT/Expat license (forwarded from: python-xstatic-angular-bootstrap_0.11.0.2-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue May 5 02:31:35 UTC 2015

On 5/4/15, 18:13, "Thomas Goirand" <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

>On 05/05/2015 12:15 AM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
>> For what it’s worth Thomas and Maxime, removing the old versions from
>>PyPI
>> is likely to be a bad idea.
>
>Probably, but it's legally wrong (ie: worst case, you can be sued) to
>leave a package which is in direct violation of the license of things it
>contains.

Note: I didn’t say it was legally correct. Please don’t put words in my
mouth Thomas. You do this frequently.

>> An increasing number of deployers have stopped
>> relying on system packages and install either from source or from PyPI.
>>If
>> they’re creating frozen lists of dependencies, you *will* break them.
>
>I don't think we have a choice here. Or do you want to push Maxime to
>take the legal risks? I wouldn't do that...
>
>Anyway, here, we're talking about xstatic-angular-bootstrap, and I it's
>safe to say that nothing else but horizon depends on it. So we should be
>fine.

Have you analyzed all of the dependencies on PyPI? Are you sure Storyboard
doesn’t depend on it? Horizon may be the only project *you* know of that
depends on it. I don’t think, you, Maxime, or I can know that for certain.
Even so, Horizon is deployed in many places, and given the reliability of
system packages, it’s increasingly deployed from source.

>> While I agree that those distributions are violating the license, I
>>think
>> it is a mistake that no one believes is malicious and which no one will
>> actually chase after you for.
>
>Are you a lawyer? Do you have a special connection with people from
>bootstrap and angular, and they told you so?

Again with trying to put words in my mouth Thomas.

>> If you’re very concerned about it, you can
>> create updated releases of all of those packages (for PyPI).
>
>Even if you aren't concerned, please do create an updated release on
>PyPi so that it can be uploaded to Debian.
>
>> If you have
>> version 1.2.3, you can release version 1.2.3.post1 to indicate that the
>> source code itself didn’t exactly change but some metadata was added or
>> fixed. Pip should, then if I recall correctly, select 1.2.3.post1 over
>> 1.2.3.
>
>There's no need to do this, there's already 4 digits in XStatic
>packages. Just increasing the ultra-micro (ie: the last digit) in the
>version number is fine. I fail to see why one would need to
>over-engineer this with a .post1 suffix.

I suppose if you used pip, you’d understand why the .post1 suffix is
necessary, but you don’t care about anything other than how this affects
your packages, do you?