[openstack-dev] [tc] Who is allowed to vote for TC candidates

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri May 1 17:46:56 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Adam Lawson's message of 2015-05-01 09:06:20 -0700:
> So this is an interesting idea. Would we require operators co-author/review
> all patches that land? if not (and that actually strikes me as making
> uploading patches more difficult unnecessarily), My question is how
> Operators can easily get involved with that process.

*Requiring* reviews would be onerous, but we definitely *encourage*
them.

> If Operators want to get recognized for contributing and participate with
> TC elections, an easy way to start an engagement with some means of
> tracking would be immensely helpful I think.

I think folks who are truly engaged with the existing contributor
team will be recognized, and if they feel they are engaged but are
not being recognized they should talk to the PTL of the project to
understand why.  It's likely that not all PTLs are thinking about
adding ATCs to their project, and some may just need to be nudged.

On the other hand, if you want to have a real, immediate, impact
on the future direction of OpenStack start with the folks making
the plans for upcoming work by reviewing their proposals.  One
benefit of the specs review process is that it is open for everyone
to participate, and we especially want to hear from operators.  I
have several times pointed my local meetup group or some individual
operators to specifications where I thought their input would be
valuable.

I don't know how much feedback we're seeing overall from anyone not
already designated a contributor (if someone familiar enough with
the tools to generate those stats could do it I think it would be
useful information).

Doug