[openstack-dev] [nova] [docs] Scheduler filters documentation

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri May 1 15:11:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/29/2015 03:41 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
>
>> On Apr 29, 2015, at 2:30 PM, Matt Riedemann
>> <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>>
>>  I'd prefer to see the scheduler filter docs be maintained in the
>>> nova devref where they are close to the source, versioned, and
>>> reviewed by the nova team when there are scheduler filter changes
>>> or new filters added.
>>>

>> For now, I think this is best. When and if the scheduler is a
>> separate entity, it will need its own docs; nova will still need to
>> document *its* filters, but not *how to* filter.
>>

> So, the config-ref docs are auto-generated continually via automation
> scripts from the help text of options. And, IMO, this is A Good Thing.
>
> In this case, the end user of this information is the cloud admin -- the
> person who creates flavors and tags compute nodes with capability extra
> specs. The target audience for this information is not really the Nova
> developer.
>
> Now, if there are sections of the devref that need to inform the
> *developer* about some weird intricacies of the scheduler filters (and
> frankly, this is kind of one of them), then I think it's OK to have
> slightly duplicate information. It depends on the target audience. In this
> particular case, I think it's fine to duplicate a little.

Right, to me this is the right approach, thanks Jay. I say this because
here are the stats for each page, showing where your audience is.

10,473 page views in six months:[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/juno/config-reference/content/section_compute-
scheduler.html#aggregate-instanceextraspecsfilter
5,143 page views in same six months:
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova
/devref/filter_scheduler.html#filtering

> Best,