[openstack-dev] [Manila] FFE request for "Authomatic cleanup of share_servers"

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Tue Mar 31 15:20:15 UTC 2015

On 03/31/2015 08:49 AM, Julia Varlamova wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to request a Feature Freeze Exception forAuthomatic cleanup
> of share_servers
> (Launchpad:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/manila/+spec/automatic-cleanup-of-share-servers).
>
> Patch can be found here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/166182
>
> I am looking forward for your decision about considering this change
> for a FFe.
>
> Thank you!

This is a change I'm interested in seeing merge in Kilo.

I believe the risk is small due to the small number of lines of code and
the good test coverage.

The risk of NOT fixing this in Kilo is that some deployments will leak
share_servers and waste a possibly large amount of resources. This
leaking has been observed in my test environment, and the only
workaround is for the administrator to periodically check share_servers
and delete them.

I view the current behaviour has a bug, despite the fact that the change
is advertised as a feature with a blueprint.

Since I'm in favor of this change, I'd like other community members to
weigh in on the risks of fixing this vs. not fixing this in Kilo.

-Ben Swartzlander