[openstack-dev] [Manila] FFE Request: "glusterfs_native: negotiate volumes with glusterd"

Csaba Henk chenk at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 14:54:47 UTC 2015

Hi Ben,

please find my answer inline.

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ben Swartzlander" <ben at swartzlander.org>
> To: "OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)" <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
> Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 7:44:25 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Manila] FFE Request: "glusterfs_native: negotiate volumes with glusterd"
> Thanks for going through the formal request process with this change.
> One question I have that's not answered here is: what is the risk of
> delaying this fix to Liberty? Clearly it needs to be fixed eventually,
> but if we hold off and allow Kilo to ship as-is, will anything bad
> happen? From the description above it sounds like the driver is
> functional, and a somewhat awkward workaround (restarting the backend)
> is required to deal with bug 1437176.

The risk is usability of the driver. To put it like that, driver is
architecturally broken -- storing all possible share backend instances
in a config parameter is not something should be seen in release code.

> Will users be subjected to any upgrade problems going from Kilo to
> Liberty if we don't fix this in Kilo? Will there be any significant
> maintenance problems in the Kilo code if we don't change it?

OpenStack distributions might be tempted to backport the fix (to arrive at
a usable driver) in which case they take up a maintenance burden.


More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list