[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [Openstack-dev][all] how to apply security/back-ported release to Icehouse production

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Mon Mar 30 19:34:54 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Daniel Comnea <comnea.dani at gmail.com> wrote:
> No thoughts?

You don't need to do sequential upgrades, you *should* be able to
cherry pick which components to upgrade because there *shouldn't* be
and RPC format changes in back ports. That said I once had issues
becasue of an RPC change when I updated the Nova controller
(nova-api) but not the compute nodes though I forget how long ago that
was, it may have been Icehouse or may have been Havana.  Though even
with that just pulling the new point release on the compute nodes
fixed everything and no harm came to any existing instances.

In practice after testing in my test cloud, 'apt-get dist-upgrade' (on
Ubuntu LTS w/ cloudarchive packages) has worked for me all bu that one
time semi-noted above for point releases since 12.04/Essex now on
14.04/Juno.

My production cloud is relatively simple, single site, 75 compute
nodes, no cells or anything so not sure if thing get more fragile as
you add more complexity and components.

-Jon