[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] upgrades from juno to kilo

William M Edmonds edmondsw at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 30 19:06:09 UTC 2015

I tracked down the cause of the check-grenade-dsvm failure on
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/167370 . As I understand it, grenade is
taking the previous stable release, deploying it, then upgrading to the
current master (plus the proposed changeset) without changing any of the
config from the stable deployment. Thus the policy.json file used in that
test is the file from stable-juno. Then if we look at oslo_policy/policy.py
we see that if the rule being looked for is missing then the default rule
will be used, but then if that default rule is also missing a KeyError is
thrown. Since the default rule was missing with ceilometer's policy.json
file in Juno, that's what would happen here. I assume that KeyError then
gets turned into the 403 Forbidden that is causing check-grenade-dsvm
failure.

I suspect the author of the already-merged
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115717 did what they did in
ceilometer/api/rbac.py rather than what is proposed in
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/167370 just to get the grenade tests to
pass. I think they got lucky (unlucky for us), too, because I think they
actually did break what the grenade tests are meant to catch. The patch set
which was merged under https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115717 changed the
rule that is checked in get_limited_to() from "context_is_admin" to
"segregation". But the "segregation" rule didn't exist in the Juno version
of ceilometer's policy.json, so if a method that calls get_limited_to() was
tested after an upgrade, I believe it would fail with a 403 Forbidden
tracing back to a KeyError looking for the "segregation" rule... very
similar to what we're seeing in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/167370

Am I on the right track here? How should we handle this? Is there a way to
maintain backward compatibility while fixing what is currently broken (as a
result of https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115717 ) and allowing for a fix
for https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1435855 (the goal of
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/167370)? Or will we need to document in
the release notes that the manual step of modifying ceilometer's
policy.json is required when upgrading from Juno, and then correspondingly
modify grenade's upgrade_ceilometer file?

W. Matthew Edmonds
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Email: edmondsw at us.ibm.com
Phone: (919) 543-7538 / Tie-Line: 441-7538