[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Mar 30 14:34:18 UTC 2015

On 03/26/2015 08:58 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 03/26/2015 06:31 PM, Michael Still wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I thought it would be a good idea to send out a status update for the
>> migration from nova-network to Neutron, as there hasn't been as much
>> progress as we'd hoped for in Kilo. There are a few issues which have
>> been slowing progress down.
>
> Thanks for writing up the status!
>
>> First off, creating an all encompassing turn key upgrade is probably
>> not possible. This was also never a goal of this effort -- to quote
>> the spec for this work, "Consequently, the process described here is
>> not a “one size fits all” automated push-button tool but a series of
>> steps that should be obvious to automate and customise to meet local
>> needs" [1]. The variety of deployment and configuration options
>> available makes a turn key migration very hard to write, and possibly
>> impossible to test. We therefore have opted for writing "migration
>> tools", which allow operators to plug components together in the way
>> that makes sense for their deployment and then migrate using those.
>
> Yes, I'm quite convinced that it will end up being a fairly custom
> effort for virtually all deployments complex enough where just starting
> over or cold migration isn't an option.
>
>> However, talking to operators at the Ops Summit, is has become clear
>> that some operators simply aren't interested in moving to Neutron --
>> largely because they either aren't interested in tenant networks, or
>> have corporate network environments that make deploying Neutron very
>> hard.
>
> I totally get point #1: "nova-network has less features, but I don't
> need the rest, and nova-network is rock solid for me."
>
> I'm curious about the second point about Neutron being more difficult to
> deploy than nova-network.  That's interesting because it actually seems
> like Neutron is more flexible when it comes to integration with existing
> networks.  Do you know any more details?  If not, perhaps those with
> that concern could fill in with some detail here?
>
>> So, even if we provide migration tools, it is still likely that
>> we will end up with loyal nova-network users who aren't interested in
>> moving. From the Nova perspective, the end goal of all of this effort
>> is to delete the nova-network code, and if we can't do that because
>> some people simply don't want to move, then what is gained by putting
>> a lot of effort into migration tooling?
>
> To me it comes down to the reasons people don't want to move.  I'd like
> to dig into exactly why people don't want to use Neutron.  If there are
> legitimate reasons why nova-network will work better, then Neutron has
> not met parity and we're certainly not ready to deprecate nova-network.
>
> I still think getting down to a single networking project should be the
> end goal.  The confusion around networking choices has been detrimental
> to OpenStack.
I heartily agree.

Here is my problem. I am getting the feeling from the big tent
discussions (now this could be my fault since I don't know as it is in
the proposal or just the "stuff people are making up about it") that we
are allowing more than one networking project in OpenStack. I have been
disappointed with that impression but that has been the impression I
have gotten.

I'm glad to hear you have a different perspective on this, Russell, and
would just like to clarify this point.

Are we saying that OpenStack has one networking option?

Thanks,
Anita.