[openstack-dev] Regarding the algorithm parameter mentioned in the POST call to store the secret

Asha Seshagiri asha.seshagiri at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 04:57:03 UTC 2015

Hi All,

What is the importance of mentioning the algorithm type in the POST call ,
since we already have the secret.
Are we trying the encrypt the actual secret using the algorithm mentioned
in the POST call .If yes what is the key that is used to encrypt the secret
since we require the algorithm, key and actual information(payload)  to
encrypt the any information.

For ex : Consider the POST CALL below with algorithm aes

POST v1/secrets

Header: content-type=application/json

{
  "name": "AES key",
  "expiration": "2014-02-28T19:14:44.180394",
  "algorithm": "aes",
  "bit_length": 256,
  "mode": "cbc",
  "payload": "gF6+lLoF3ohA9aPRpt+6bQ==",
  "payload_content_type": "application/octet-stream",
  "payload_content_encoding": "base64",
  "secret_type": "opaque"
}

What are the different algorithms supported in this POST CALL.
Any Help would be appreciated .Thanks in advance
--
*Thanks and Regards*
*Asha Seshagiri*