[openstack-dev] [nova] [libvirt] The risk of hanging when shutdown instance.

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Mar 27 15:15:37 UTC 2015

On 03/26/2015 07:44 PM, Rui Chen wrote:
> Yes, you are right, but we found our instance hang at first dom.shutdown() call,
> if the dom.shutdown() don't return, there is no chance to execute dom.destroy(),
> right?

Correct.  The code is written assuming dom.shutdown() cannot block indefinitely.

The libvirt docs at
"https://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt-domain.html#virDomainShutdown" say
"...this command returns as soon as the shutdown request is issued rather than
blocking until the guest is no longer running."

If dom.shutdown() blocks indefinitely, then that's a libvirt bug.

Chris