[openstack-dev] [Heat][qa][tempest] Decoupling Heat integration tests from Heat tree

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 20:25:50 UTC 2015

On 27/03/15 03:38, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> following IRC discussion here is a summary of what I propose can be
> done in this regard, in the order of increased decoupling:
>
> 1) make a separate requirements.txt for integration tests and modify
> the tox job to use it. The code of these tests is pretty much
> decoupled already, not using any modules from the main heat tree. The
> actual dependencies are mostly api clients and test framework. Making
> this happen should decrease the time needed to setup the tox env and
> thus speed up the test run somewhat.

Lets at least do this
> 2) provide separate distutils' setup.py/setup.cfg
> <http://setup.py/setup.cfg> to ease packaging and installing this test
> suit to run it against an already deployed cloud (especially scenario
> tests seem to be valuable in this regard).
>
> 3) move the integration tests to a separate repo and use it as git
> submodule in the main tree. The main reasons not to do it as far as
> I've collected are not being able to provide code change and test in
> the same (or dependent) commits, and lesser reviewers' attention to a
> separate repo.
>
> What do you think about it? Please share your comments.

Before we choose an approach here I'd like to wait for some common
(tempest-lib based?) solution to emerge. Since tests are dis-aggregating
out of tempest into project trees then ideally users will need a
convenient way of pulling in all the tests they want to run on their cloud.