[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [Neutron] allow_overlapping_ips (was: Deprecating the use_namespaces option ...)

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:09:52 UTC 2015

This is a nice option for smaller deployments that didn't need the
complexity of NAT. From a custom L3 plugin perspective, it also eliminated
any single points of failure pretty easily since no NAT state had to be
distributed.

However, it was difficult to use with tenant self-service since one tenant
could create a subnet that ate up the whole routing space. It basically
required that the networking was done by an admin or that the entire
deployment was shared by a group of users trusted to do the right thing.

My main interest in the IPAM work was to support fully routable deployments
like this. Once IPAM has a workflow that covers tenant subnet allocation
from a subnet pool shared by the whole deployment, I think deprecation of
the "allow_overlapping_ips" option makes perfect sense since the operator
can just create a single global subnet pool to simulate it.

Kevin Benton