[openstack-dev] [all] creating stable branches for all libraries, Oslo, client, and other

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Mar 24 20:13:54 UTC 2015

We have a cross-project spec up for review discussing a change in the release process precipitated by the fact that we are now capping library versions in stable branch test configurations. We’ve talked about it a couple of times at the cross-project meetings, but we also want to make sure it is widely seen because it will affect the way bug fixes need to be managed in client libraries (new releases of clients won’t automatically make it into stable branches, and we will need to maintain stable branches of the clients with back-ports for critical fixes).

The Oslo team has already followed this procedure, including releasing some versions of libraries with backports for the stable branches. I think most of the wrinkles are therefore worked out, and I would like to move ahead with this for all projects that release library-like artifacts for Kilo, understanding that we might need to update the document, procedures, and tools as we go.

Please take a few minutes to read the spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/155072/

Thanks,
Doug