[openstack-dev] [Neutron] VLAN trunking network for NFV

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Tue Mar 24 18:17:56 UTC 2015

That spec ensures that you can tell what the plugin is doing.  You can ask
for a VLAN transparent network, but the cloud may tell you it can't make
one.

The OVS driver in Openstack drops VLAN tagged packets, I'm afraid, and the
spec you're referring to doesn't change that.  The spec does ensure that if
you try and create a VLAN trunk on a cloud that uses the OVS driver, you'll
be told you can't.  in the future, the OVS driver can be fixed, but that's
how things stand at present.  Fixing the OVS driver really involves getting
in at the OVS flow level - can be done, but we started with the basics.

If you want to use a VLAN trunk using the current code, I recommend VXLAN
or GRE along with the Linuxbridge driver, both of which support VLAN
transparent networking.  If they're configured and you ask for a VLAN trunk
you'll be told you got one.
--
Ian.