[openstack-dev] [nova][api] Microversions. And why do we need API extensions for new API functionality?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Mar 24 14:27:48 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-24 10:10:07 -0400 (-0400), Jay Pipes wrote:
[...]
> I'm really not a fan of the Defcore effort. This should come as no
> surprise to anyone. I've been quite blunt about my disdain for the
> focus on identifying which API things are mandatory and which are
> optional, in order to say some vendor's product "is OpenStack".
[...]

Understandable--and I'm certainly no fan of bureaucracy and
politicking--just pointing out that in the carrots-and-sticks bin we
have trademarks as a potential carrot to encourage people running
OpenStack commercially to further the goals of our community. If
there is broad community support for the idea that standard
OpenStack APIs should not be arbitrarily extended downstream because
it hurts interoperability, then this might be one way to improve the
situation. If there are other means to achieve this then they too
should be considered, obviously.
--
Jeremy Stanley