[openstack-dev] [nova] how to handle vendor-specific API microversions?

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 04:11:28 UTC 2015

> I would vote that we not make this pleasant or easy for vendors who are
> wanting to add a feature to the API. As a person who uses several clouds
> daily, I can tell you that a vendor chosing to do that is VERY mean to
> users, and provides absolutely no value to anyone, other than allowing
> someone to make a divergent "differentiated" fork.
>
> Just don't do it. Seriously. It makes life very difficult for people
> trying to consume these things.
>
> The API is not the place for divergence.

But, what if some vendors have already implemented some on-premise
features using the Nova extension mechanism, to achieve strategy of
product differentiation themselves based on OpenStack? IMHO, the
DefCore has already give some advise about what's OpenStack(you must
pass through a lot of predefined tests). If vendors can not provide
extra features by themselvs(which is backwards compatible), they will
lose a little competitiveness on their product.

I'm not very sure whether or not my understanding is right, but I
really concern about the what's the right direction for the vendors or
providers.

Regards!