[openstack-dev] [nova] proposing feature for Liberty, would this need a spec?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Mar 23 20:58:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'd like to propose (and implement) a feature for Liberty that would allow
configuration of the pinning of the emulator when CPU pinning is enabled.
(Currently the emulator is affined to the logical OR of all pCPUs used by the
instance.)

The general idea is to add an optional flavor extra spec (or image metadata):

"hw:emulatorpin=<vcpulist>"

If specified, this would affine the emulator to the pCPUs corresponding to the
specified vCPUs.  If not specified, the emulator would be affined as it is
currently.

The rationale for this is that for pure userspace tasks we may want to give
certain vCPUs as much CPU time as possible.  If the emulator is allowed to run
run on the corresponding pCPU, then that robs the vCPU of some time--reducing
throughput and increasing latency.

Would something like this be eligible for the "trivial blueprint" process?

Thanks,
Chris