[openstack-dev] [nova][pci-passthrough] Error: An object of type PciDevicePoolList is required here

Moshe Levi moshele at mellanox.com
Sun Mar 22 16:58:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

In the latest master nova code I am keep getting this error  "An object of type PciDevicePoolList is required here"

My nova.conf contains  pci_passthrough_whitelist.

When I tried to launch vm after devstack installation the vm was successfully booted.
When I restart the compute node and then try to launch vm I get a failure due to  error "An object of type PciDevicePoolList is required here". (It doesn't matter if it vm with normal or vm with direct port )

In the debugger  I can see the in that one of resources sent to the scheduler is "pci_device_pools" which is a list for example ('pci_device_pools': [{'count': 7, 'vendor_id': u'15b3', 'product_id': u'1004', 'tags': {u'numa_node': None, u'physical_network': u'physnet1'}}])
When this resource saved into the database I get  the above error.
Please note I can reproduce this issue only after I restart the compute node.
Removing the pci_device_pools key from the resources (remove it from self.compute_node in the resource_tracker) fix this issue, but I am not sure that it is the correct way to go.

Is anyone see  this issue?
Should the pci_device_pools be sent to the scheduler?