[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPAM] Uniqueness of subnets within a tenant

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Fri Mar 20 19:37:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a question purely out of curiousity. Why is Neutron averse to the
> concept of using tenants as natural ways of dividing up the cloud -- which
> at its core means "multi-tenant", on-demand computing and networking?

>From what I've heard others say both in this thread and privately to
me, there are already a lot of cases where a tenant will use the same
address range to stamp out identical topologies.  It occurred to me
that we might even being doing this with our own gate infrastructure
but I don't know for sure.

> Is this just due to a lack of traditional use of the term in networking
> literature? Or is this something more deep-grained (architecturally) than
> that?

We already have NAT serving as the natural divider between them and so
there is no reason to create another artificial way of dividing them
up which will force them to change their practices.  I've come to
terms with this since my earlier replies to this thread.

Carl