[openstack-dev] [api][neutron] Best API for generating subnets from pool

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Fri Mar 20 19:28:57 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Template is totally the wrong word.  It is a host address without a network.
> The prefix is there for the same purpose, to OR it back into a network
> address.
>
> I just want us to stop inventing things that already exist.  You want to
> specify the gateway IP, to get that you need a network address, presumably
> to be allocated somewhere and a host address.  OR them together and you have
> an IP address.

I'm not sure template is the wrong word.  But, I think we're just
arguing terminology now.  To me, calling it a template indicates that
it must be combined with something else before it is usable for our
purpose.  Here are some options for what to call the attribute:

gateway_ip_template: '0.0.0.1'
gateway_ip_host:  '0.0.0.1'
gateway_ip_host_part:  '0.0.0.1'

I'm sure there are 100 other names we could use.  The key take-aways
for me are that we don't use '*.*.*.1' and that we don't pass the
host-only part of the address as the 'gateway_ip'.  So, these are
wrong IMO:

gateway_ip:  '0.0.0.1'
gateway_ip_template: '*.*.*.1'
gateway_ip_host_port: '*.*.*.1'