[openstack-dev] [all] Capability Discovery API

Andrew Mann andrew at divvycloud.com
Wed Mar 18 23:56:26 UTC 2015

Here's a possibly relevant use case for this discussion:

1) Running Icehouse OpenStack
2) Keystone reports v3.0 auth capabilities
3) If you actually use the v3.0 auth, then any nova call that gets passed
through to cinder fails due to the code in Icehouse being unable to parse
the 3.0 service catalog format

Due to the limited ability to interrogate OpenStack and determine what is
running, we have to auth with v3, and then make a volume related nova call
and see if it fails. Afterward we can go down code paths to work around the
OS bugs in the presumed version.  If a more robust API for determining the
running components and their capabilities were available, this would be an
easier situation to deal with.

The main point of this is that a capabilities API requires an absolute
flawless implementation to be sufficient. It fails if a capability is
reported as available, but the implementation in that particular release
has a bug. The version of implementation code also needs to be exposed
through the API for consumers to be able to know when issues are present
and work around them.

-Andrew

Andrew Mann
DivvyCloud Inc.