[openstack-dev] [Nova][Cinder] Questions re progress

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 23:42:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Adam Lawson <alawson at aqorn.com> wrote:

> The aim is cloud storage that isn't affected by a host failure and major
> players who deploy hyper-scaling clouds architect them to prevent that from
> happening. To me that's cloud 101. Physical machine goes down, data
> disappears, VM's using it fail and folks scratch their head and ask this
> was in the cloud right? That's the indication of a service failure, not a
> feature.

​
Yeah, the idea of an auto-evacuate is def nice, and I know there's progress
there just maybe not as far along as some would like.  I'm far from a
domain expert there though so I can't say much, other than I keep beating
the drum that that doesn't require shared storage.

Also, I would argue depending on who you ask, cloud 101 actually says; "The
Instance puked, auto-spin up another one and get on wit it".  I'm certainly
not arguing your points, just noting their are multiple views on this.
Also.
​

> I'm just a very big proponent of cloud arch that provides a seamless
> abstraction between the service and the hardware. Ceph and DRDB are decent
> enough. But tying data access to a single host by design is a mistake IMHO
> so I'm asking why we do things the way we do and whether that's the way
> it's always going to be.

​So others have/will chime in here... one thing I think is kinda missing in
the statement above is the "single host", that's actually the whole point
of Ceph and other vendor driven clustered storage technologies out there.
There's a ton to choose from at this point, open source as well as
proprietary and a lot of them are really really good.  This is also very
much what DRBD aims to solve for you.  You're not tying data access to a
single host/node, that's kinda the whole point.

Granted in the case of DRBD we've still got a ways to go and something we
haven't even scratched the surface on much is virtual/shared IP's for
targets but we're getting there albeit slowly (there are folks who are
doing this already but haven't contributed their work back upstream), so in
that case yes we still have a shortcoming in that if the node that's acting
as your target server goes down you're kinda hosed.  ​

> Of course this bumps into the question whether all apps hosted in the
> cloud should be cloud aware or whether the cloud should have some tolerance
> for legacy apps that are not written that way.

​I've always felt "it depends".  I think you should be able to do both
honestly (and IMHO you can currently), but if you want to take full
advantage of everything that's offered in an OpenStack context at least,
the best way to do that is to design and build with failure and dynamic
provisioning in mind.​

> *Adam Lawson*
>
> AQORN, Inc.
> 427 North Tatnall Street