[openstack-dev] [oslo][pbr] fixing up pbr's master branch

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Mar 18 22:01:16 UTC 2015

On 19 March 2015 at 10:51, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2015-03-19 09:15:36 +1300:

> I wonder if it had to do with Oslo's alpha releases? Since we're no
> longer doing that, do we still care? Are we still actually "broken"?

Yes, we do and should fix it. Details in the IRC log (sorry:/)

>> I don't recall the exact detail of the conflict here - but its all in
>> -infra channel logs if that matters. Making the change should be
>> pretty straight forward.
>>
>> A second but also mandatory change is to synchronise on the final
>> pre-release tag definitions in PEP-440, IIRC that was just 'rc' ->
>> 'c'.
>
> How do we use those?

git tag 1.0.0.0rc1 for instance.

We read in any of the version formats we've previously used and output
a canonical form.
..
>> PEP-440. To reiterate the current situation (AIUI) is warn not
>> enforce, and no action should be needed here.
>
> OK, so the problem was with installing packages with "bad" versions,
> rather than building them in the first place?

There were a couple of bugs where we couldn't read old versions but
they were fixed immediately, since they were gate breakers.

> I thought maybe someone closer to the issue would remember the
> details. I should probably just try to use trunk pbr and see where
> it's failing, if at all.

We stopped using trunk the day that pip implemented pep-440 and we
found out we had this skew :(.

>> > Some of the other special casing seems to be for TripleO's benefit
>> > (especially the stuff that generates versions from untagged commits).
>> > Is that working? If not, is it still necessary to have?
>>
>> Huh, no. Thats all about unbreaking our behaviour in the gate. We've
>> had (and can still have with current released) cases where we end up
>> installing from pypi rather than the thing we're testing, if the
>> version numbers align wrongly. (All due to accidentially rewinding
>> versions in the presence of pre-release versions). Pbr has generate
>> versions forever. It just generates completely broken ones in the
>> released code. Yes broken - they go backwards :).
>
> By pre-release do you mean things with "alpha" in them, or do you mean
> commits that were made after a release tag?

alpha etc.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>