[openstack-dev] [all] Capability Discovery API

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:33:21 UTC 2015

On 17 March 2015 at 22:02, Davis, Amos (PaaS-Core) <amos.steven.davis at hp.com
> wrote:

> Ceph/Cinder:
> LVM or other?
> SCSI-backed?
> Any others?

I'm wondering why any of the above matter to an application. The entire
point of cinder is to abstract those details from the application. I'd be
very strongly resistant to add any API to cinder that exposed any of the
above. Is there some significant difference the above makes, from an
application POV? If so, please do let me know, since it is probably a bug

There *are* details about cinder that are sensible to expose however:

    Are consistency groups supported?
    Is replication supported?
    Is the backup service enabled?
    Do snapshots of an attached volume work?
    Are there restrictions to backing up snapshots, or snapshotted volumes,
or volume from snapshots?

...and probably others. I don't think there's a good answer to how to
answer these questions yet, and I agree we need to get that on the road
map. Some of the above questions should ideally only have one question, but
there are limitations on various drivers that we've not yet fixed.

--
Duncan Thomas