[openstack-dev] [Kolla] PTL Candidacy

Daneyon Hansen (danehans) danehans at cisco.com
Wed Mar 18 00:51:46 UTC 2015

Congratulations Steve!!!!!

Regards,
Daneyon Hansen
Software Engineer
Email: danehans at cisco.com
Phone: 303-718-0400
http://about.me/daneyon_hansen

From: Angus Salkeld <asalkeld at mirantis.com<mailto:asalkeld at mirantis.com>>
Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Kolla] PTL Candidacy

There have been no other candidates within the allowed time, so congratulations Steve on being the new Kolla PTL.

Regards
Angus Salkeld

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Angus Salkeld <asalkeld at mirantis.com<mailto:asalkeld at mirantis.com>> wrote:
Candidacy confirmed.

-Angus

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com<mailto:stdake at cisco.com>> wrote:
I am running for PTL for the Kolla project.  I have been executing in an unofficial PTL capacity for the project for the Kilo cycle, but I feel it is important for our community to have an elected PTL and have asked Angus Salkeld, who has no outcome in the election, to officiate the election [1].

For the Kilo cycle our community went from zero LOC to a fully working implementation of most of the services based upon Kubernetes as the backend.  Recently I led the effort to remove Kubernetes as a backend and provide container contents, building, and management on bare metal using docker-compose which is nearly finished.  At the conclusion of Kilo, it should be possible from one shell script to start an AIO full deployment of all of the current OpenStack git-namespaced services using containers built from RPM packaging.

For Liberty, I’d like to take our community and code to the next level.  Since our containers are fairly solid, I’d like to integrate with existing projects such as TripleO, os-ansible-deployment, or Fuel.  Alternatively the community has shown some interest in creating a multi-node HA-ified installation toolchain.

I am deeply committed to leading the community where the core developers want the project to go, wherever that may be.

I am strongly in favor of adding HA features to our container architecture.

I would like to add .deb package support and from-source support to our docker container build system.

I would like to implement a reference architecture where our containers can be used as a building block for deploying a reference platform of 3 controller nodes, ~100 compute nodes, and ~10 storage nodes.

I am open to expanding our scope to address full deployment, but would prefer to merge our work with one or more existing upstreams such as TripelO, os-ansible-deployment, and Fuel.

Finally I want to finish the job on functional testing, so all of our containers are functionally checked and gated per commit on Fedora, CentOS, and Ubuntu.

I am experienced as a PTL, leading the Heat Orchestration program from zero LOC through OpenStack integration for 3 development cycles.  I write code as a PTL and was instrumental in getting the Magnum Container Service code-base kicked off from zero LOC where Adrian Otto serves as PTL.  My past experiences include leading Corosync from zero LOC to a stable building block of High Availability in Linux.  Prior to that I was part of a team that implemented Carrier Grade Linux.  I have a deep and broad understanding of open source, software development, high performance team leadership, and distributed computing.

I would be pleased to serve as PTL for Kolla for the Liberty cycle and welcome your vote.

Regards
-steve

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Kolla/PTL_Elections_March_2015