[openstack-dev] [Keystone][FFE] - IdP ID (remote_id) registration and validation

Marek Denis marek.denis at cern.ch
Tue Mar 17 22:28:58 UTC 2015

Hello,

One very important feature that we have been working on in the Kilo
development cycle is management of remote_id attributes tied to Identity
Providers in keystone.

This work is crucial for:

-  Secure OpenStack identity federation configuration. User is required
to specify what Identity Provider (IdP) issues an assertion as well as
what protocol (s)he wishes to use (typically it would be SAML2 or OpenId
Connect). Based on that knowledge (arbitrarily specified by a user),
keystone fetches mapping rules configured for {IdP, protocol} pair and
applies it on the assertion. As an effect a set of groups is returned,
and by membership of those dynamically assigned groups (and later
roles), an ephemeral user is being granted access to certain OpenStack
resources. Without remote_id attributes, a user, can arbitrarily choose
pair {Identity Provider, protocol} without respect of issuing Identity
Provider. This may lead to a situation where Identity Provider X issues
an assertion, but user chooses mapping ruleset dedicated for Identity
Provider Y, effectively being granted improper groups (roles). As part
of various federation protocols, every Identity Provider issues an
identifier allowing trusting peers (Keystone  servers in this case) to
reliably identify issuer of the assertion. That said, remote_id
attributes allow cloud administrators to match assertions with Identity
Providers objects configured in keystone (i.e. situation depicted above
would not happen, as keystone object Identity Provider Y would accept
assertions issued by Identity Provider Y only).

- WebSSO implementation - a highly requested feature that allows to use
federation in OpenStack via web browsers, especially Horizon. Without
remote_ids server (keystone) is not able to distinguish what maping rule
set should be used for transforming assertion into set of local
attributes (groups, users etc).

Status of the work:

So far we have implemented and merged feature where each Identity
Provider object can have one remote_id specified. However, there have
been few request for stakeholders for ability to configure multiple
remote_id attributes per Identity Provider objects. This is extremely
useful in configuring federations where 10s or 100s of Identity Provider
work within one federation and where one mapping ruleset is used among
them.
This has been discussed and widely accepted during Keystone mid cycle
meetup in January 2015. The first version of the implementation was
proposed on Febrary 2nd. During the implementation process we discovered
the bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1426334) that was
blocking further work. Fixing it took reasonably big manpower and
significantly delayed delivery process of the main feature. Eventually,
the bug was fixed and now we are ready to get final reviews (mind, the
patch was already reviewed and all the comments and issues were
constantly being addressed) and hopefully get landed in the Kilo release.

Specification link:
https://github.com/openstack/keystone-specs/blob/master/specs/kilo/idp-id-registration.rst
Implementation link: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/152156/

I hereby ask for exceptional accepting the provided work in the Kilo
release cycle.

With kind regards,

--
Marek Denis