[openstack-dev] [all] Capability Discovery API

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Tue Mar 17 20:22:14 UTC 2015

> On Mar 17, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Davis, Amos (PaaS-Core) <amos.steven.davis at hp.com> wrote:
>
> All,
> The Application EcoSystem Working Group realized during the mid-cycle meetup in Philadelphia that there is no way to get the capabilities of an Openstack cloud so that applications can measure their compatibility against that cloud.  In other words,  if we create an Openstack App Marketplace and have developers make apps to be in that marketplace, then we'll have no way for apps to verify that they can run on that cloud.  We'd like to ask that there be a standard set of API calls created that allow a cloud to list its capabilities.  The cloud "features" or capabilities list should return True/False API responses and could include but is not limited to the below examples.  Also, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/162655/ may be a good starting point for this request.
>

> Glance:
> URL/upload
> types (raw, qcow, etc)
>
> Nova:
> Suspend/Resume VM
> Resize
> Flavor sizes supported
> Images Available
> Quota Limits
> VNC support
>
> Neutron:
> Types of Networking (neutron, neutron + ml2, nova-network aka linux bridge, other)
> Types of SDN in use?
> Shared tenant networks
> Anything else?
>

> Ceph/Cinder:
> LVM or other?
> SCSI-backed?
> Any others?
>
> Swift:
> ?

Swift's capabilities are discoverable via an "/info" endpoint. The docs are at:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/api/discoverability.html

Example output from my dev environment and from Rackspace Cloud Files and from a SwiftStack lab cluster:

https://gist.github.com/notmyname/438392d57c2f3d3ee327

Clients use these to ensure a unified experience across clusters and that features are supported before trying to use them.