[openstack-dev] [nova] what is our shipped paste.ini going to be for Kilo

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 03:30:40 UTC 2015

> On 17 March 2015 at 14:27, Ken'ichi Ohmichi <ken1ohmichi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I am worried about SDKs making requests that have additional JSON
>>> attributes that were previously ignored by v2, but will be considered
>>> invalid by the v2.1 validation code. If we were to just strip out the
>>> extra items, rather than error out the request (when you don't specify
>>> a microversion), I would be less worried about the transition. Maybe
>>> that what we do?
>>
>> Nice point.
>> That is a main difference in API behaviors between v2 and v2.1 APIs.
>> If SDKs pass additional JSON attributes to Nova API now, developers
>> need to fix/remove these attributes because that is a bug on SDKs
>> side.
>> These attributes are unused and meaningless, so some APIs of SDKs
>> would contain problems if passing this kind of attributes.
>>
>> Sometime it was difficult to know what are available attributes before
>> v2.1 API, so "The full monty approach" will clarify problems of SDKs
>> and make SDKs' quality better.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ken Ohmichi
>
> Better at the cost of forcing all existing users to upgrade just to
> keep using code of their own that already worked.
>
> Not really 'better' IMO. Different surely.

That is different from this thread.
This change doesn't break existing users, because paste.ini is a
config file and most cases use the existing config files for
upgrading. So this change doesn't impact existing users as Sean
mentioned on the first mail.

This change will impact new cloud environments which include
development environments for our CI and SDKs.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi