[openstack-dev] [keystone][congress][group-policy] Fetching policy from a remote source

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:15:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:

> Oslo policy has been released as a stand alone library.  This is great, in
> that the rules engine is relatively non-applicaition specific, and I assume
> that all of the policy based project are planning to migrate over to using
> the policy library instead of the incubated version.
>
> Part of the push toward a more dynamic policy mechanism is figuring out
> how to fetch and cache the policy files from Keystone.  I suspect that the
> other services have the same issue.
>
> 1.  How long should a service hold on to the cached version of the policy
> file?
> 2.  How can we avoid the stampeding herd if Keystone pushes out a
> notification change event?

Why do you think this will present a problem?

> 3.  How do we securely cache the file and still make it possible to debug.

Why would security for policy blobs need to differ from today's
implementation? (specifically referring to the side of the fence where
policy blobs are consumed -- which is the only side of the fence today)

> The PKI tokens have a lot of these same issues, and have a one-off
> mechanism for handling it.  We should probably look in to commonizing this
> function.
>
> There general mechanism should be "fetch and cache" but I think it should
> not be tied to keystone token validation so much as capable of using it if
> necessary.

I'm guessing that access to policy rules are typically controlled by auth
> token validated services.  Is this correct?

Can you clarify this question/concern?