[openstack-dev] [nova] is it possible to microversion a static class method?

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 01:48:01 UTC 2015

> On 03/13/2015 02:55 AM, Chris Friesen wrote:

> >> *API method*
> >>
> >> This is not intended for use by methods below the top controller level.
> >> If you want conditionals lower down in your call stack pull the request
> >> version out yourself and use that.
> >
> > Both the original spec and doc/source/devref/api_microversions.rst
> > contain text talking about decorating a private method.  The latter
> > gives this example:
> >
> >     @api_version("2.1", "2.4")
> >     def _version_specific_func(self, req, arg1):
> >         pass
> >
> >     @api_version(min_version="2.5") #noqa
> >     def _version_specific_func(self, req, arg1):
> >         pass
> >
> >     def show(self, req, id):
> >         .... common stuff ....
> >         self._version_specific_func(req, "foo")
> >         .... common stuff ....
> >
> > It's entirely possible that such a private method might not need to
> > reference "self", and could therefore be static, so I think it's a valid
> > question.
>
> That's a doc bug, we should change it.

Actually it is not a bug. It's controversial point in the spec, but finally
that was keep in the spec.
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/kilo/approved/api-microversions.html

The discussion at line 268
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/127127/7/specs/kilo/approved/api-microversions.rst