[openstack-dev] [neutron] Generic question about synchronizing neutron agent on compute node with DB

Sławek Kapłoński slawek at kaplonski.pl
Sun Mar 15 22:37:59 UTC 2015

Hello,

Dnia niedziela, 15 marca 2015 17:45:05 Salvatore Orlando pisze:
> On 14 March 2015 at 11:19, Sławek Kapłoński <slawek at kaplonski.pl> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using ovs agents with L2 population mechanism in ML2 plugin. I noticed
> > that sometimes agents don't receive proper RPC to add new vxlan tunnel
> > openflow rules and then vxlan network between some compute nodes not
> > working.
> > I'm now using still havana release but want to upgrade to Juno. I was
> > checking
> > Juno code in l2 population mech driver and ovs plugin and I didn't find
> > anything like periodic check if openflow rules are proper set or maybe
> > resynced.
> > Maybe it would be also good idea to add something like that to ovs agent?
>
> It would surely be a good idea to add some form of reliability into
> communications between server and agents.
> So far there are still several instances where the server sends a "fire and
> forget" notification to the agent, and does not take any step to ensure the
> state change associated with that notification has been actually applied to
> the agent. This applies also to some messages from the agent side, such as
> status change notifications.

Maybe good idea for the beginning could be to implement some periodic task
called from agent to check db config and compare it with real state on host?
What do You think? Or maybe I'm competly wrong with such idea and it should be
done in different way?

> This is something that can be beneficial any neutron implementation which
> depends on one or more agents, not just for those using the ovs/linux
> bridge agents with the l2-population driver.

Probably yes, but I had this problem only with this l2-population driver so
far and that's why I wrote about it :)

--
Pozdrawiam / Best regards
Sławek Kapłoński