[openstack-dev] [swift] auth migration and user data migration

Weidong Shao weidongshao at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:16:53 UTC 2015

Thanks for the info.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Clay Gerrard <clay.gerrard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Weidong Shao <weidongshao at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I noticed swauth project is not actively maintained. In my local testing,
>> swauth did not work after I upgraded swift to latest.
>>

> Hrm... I think gholt would be open to patches/support, I know of a number
> of deployers of Swauth - so maybe if there's issues we should try to
> enumerate them.

​With this, I think I will try to stick with swauth. I will do some further
testing and let you know.
​

> I want to migrate off swauth. What are the auth alternative beside
>> tempauth?
>>

> Keystone.  The only other systems I know about are proprietary - what are
> your needs?
>

>> On account-to-account server-side copy, is there an operation that is
>> similar to "mv"? i.e., I want the data associated with an account to assume
>> ownership of  a new account, but I do not want to copy the actual data on
>> the disks.
>>

> The account url is encoded in the object hash - the only realistic way to
> change the location (account/container/object) of an entity to swift is to
> read from it's current location and write it to the new location the delete
> the old object.

​the url is encoded in the object hash​! This somehow entangles the data
storage/validity with its account and makes it difficult to migrate the
data. I guess it is too late to debate on the design of this. Do you know
the technical reasons for doing this?