[openstack-dev] Avoiding regression in project governance

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Mar 11 19:40:05 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-11 19:06:21 +0000 (+0000), Tim Bell wrote:
[...]
> I think we can make this work. Assuming more than N (to my mind >
> 5 or so) deployments report they are using project X, we can say
> that this is used in production/POC/... and the number of
> nodes/hypervisors/etc.
>
> This makes it concrete and anonymous to avoid the fishing queries.
> It also allows our community to enter what they are doing in one
> place rather than answering multiple surveys. I am keen to avoid
> generic queries such as "How many hypervisors are installed for
> public clouds using Xen" but if we have an agreement that >5
> avoids company identification, I feel this is feasible.
[...]

I'm mildly concerned that this adds a strong incentive to start
gaming responses to/participation in the user survey going forward,
once it gets around that you just need N people to take the survey
and claim to be using this project in production so that it can get
the coveted "production-ready" tag. I'm probably a little paranoid
and certainly would prefer to assume good faith on the part of
everyone in our community, but as the community continues to grow
that faith gets spread thinner and thinner.
--
Jeremy Stanley