[openstack-dev] [python-novaclient] Better wording for secgroup-*-default-rules? help text

Chris St. Pierre chris.a.st.pierre at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:32:53 UTC 2015

I've just filed a bug on the confusing wording of help text for the
secgroup-{add,delete,list}-default-rules? commands:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1430354

As I note in the bug, though, I'm not sure the best way to fix this. In an
unconstrained world, I'd like to see something like:

    secgroup-add-default-rule   Add a rule to the set of rules that will be
added to the 'default' security group in a newly-created tenant.

But that's obviously excessively verbose. And the help strings are pulled
from the docstrings of the functions that implement the commands, so we're
limited to what can fit in a one-line docstring. (We could add another
source of help documentation -- e.g., `desc = getattr(callback, "help",
callback.__doc__) or ''` on novaclient/shell.py line 531 -- but that seems
like it should be a last resort.)

How can we clean up the wording to make it clear that "the default security
group" is, in fact, not "the 'default' security group" or "the security
group which is default," but rather another beast entirely which isn't even
actually a security group?

Naming: still the hardest problem in computer science. :(

--
Chris St. Pierre