[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Rethinking the launch-instance wizard model

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 05:59:06 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

Currently the launch instance model file does all the fetching of various
bits of data. Combined with all of the controllers also being loaded at
wizard startup, this results in some very difficult synchronisation issues*.

An issue I've run into is the initialisation of the controller based on
model data. Specifically, loading the "allocated" and "available" lists
into the security groups transfer table. I can load a reference to the
model securityGroups array as the "available" set, but since that data is
generally not loaded (by some other code) when the controller is setting
up, I can't also select the first group in the array as the default group
in "allocated".

So, I propose that the model data for a particular pane be loaded *by that
pane*, so that pane can then attach a callback to run once the data is
loaded, to handle situations like this (which will be common, IIUC). Or the
model needs to provide promises for the pane controllers to attach
callbacks to.

      Richard

* one issue is the problem of the controllers running for the life of the
wizard and not knowing when they're active (having them only be temporarily
active would solve the issue of having to watch the transfer tables for
changes of data - we could just read the allocated lists when the
controller "exits").