[openstack-dev] [all][testing][ci] Local variables in tracebacks

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Mar 9 23:57:15 UTC 2015

I've just finished[1] an arc of development adding showing frame local
variables in tracebacks to our testing stack[2]. Its off by default
since its new and doesn't have the depth of polish that e.g. the
py.test equivalent does.

Turning it on is easy - bump the subunit library version to get the
new feature in subunit.run, and add --locals to the subunit.run
command in .testr.conf.

I'd like to turn this on our testr.conf's so that failures in CI have
more information (hopefully making it easier to figure out whats wrong
without having to submit jobs multiple times).

We have a couple of options:
 - we could add a variable for this, set that in devstack-gate.
   pros: single place to turn it on and off for everyone
   cons: doesn't turn it on for local developers, another opaque
variable in our config files.
- add it as a literal to .testr.conf
  pros: explicit
  cons: turning off will require a change to each project as it won't
be centrally set

Assuming the variable option makes the most sense (I think it does), I
propose to call the variable OS_CI_LOCALS.

Bikeshed time^W^Wcomment thoughtfully :)

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist