[openstack-dev] [mistral] Break_on in Retry policy

Thomas Hsiao myopensource2015 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 23:00:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

I like the idea of explicit checks by success-on and error-on:
success-on to break retry and get SUCCESS state.
error-on to break retry but get ERROR state.

A single break-on seems confusing to me too.

Regards,

Thomas Hsiao
HP Cloud

Nikolay, thanks for sharing this…

I think that we really have a semantical ambiguity here. If we leave
just “break-on” that both types of behavior have a right to exist.

I’m personally for defining that more explicitly with two separate
instructions “success-on” and “error-on”. A use case for “success-on”
may be, for example, checking a completion of another parallel task
and if it’s completed then we can treat our task successful meaning
that we already got what’s required. I know it sounds a little bit
generic but still pointful for me.

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.

*> >* Hello,
*> >* Recently we've found that break_on property of RetryPolicy is
not working now.
*> >* I tried to solve this problem but faced the another problem: How
does 'break_on' supposed to work?
*> >* Will 'break_on' change the task state to ERROR or SUCCESS?
*>* if ERROR, it means 'we interrupt all retry iterations and keep the
state which was before'.
*>* But if SUCCESS, it means 'we interrupt all retry iterations and
assume SUCCESS state from task because we cought this condition'.
*> >* This is ambiguous.
*> >* There is a suggestion to use not just 'break_on' but, say,
another, more explicit properties which will delete this ambiguity.
For example, 'success_on' and 'error_on'.
*> >* Thoughts?
*>* Best Regards,
*>* Nikolay
*>* @Mirantis Inc.
*>* OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
*