[openstack-dev] Call for mentors - Outreachy (former OPW)

Victoria Martínez de la Cruz victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com
Wed Mar 4 01:55:18 UTC 2015

@Christian I'm so glad to hear you are interested! I'm adding more details
below :)

@John Thanks for sharing your experience! It's great to know that both you
and mahatic enjoyed the internship

So, more details about the internship

For mentees,

>From March 3rd to March 24th mentees have time to get in touch with mentors
in OpenStack and:
- Make their first contribution. Just submit a fix for a low-hanging-fruit
bug.
- Discuss details of a task they will do during the internship
- Submit their applications

The internship starts on May 25th.

For mentors,

Mentoring shouldn't be time consuming. We make sure during the selection
process that the mentee is independent and proactive enough to carry on
everyday tasks. That doesn't mean that the applicant has to know to do
everything, but she has to be able to solve most problems on her own, with
a little help of her mentor if needed.

Every project within OpenStack is encouraged to join Outreachy.

Mentors should propose a task able to be solved during the internship time.
This is not always the case though, there a tasks that for one reason or
another are delayed. So if that happens, its not a problem. Check out
Outreachy ideas page to see some tasks from this round and previous rounds
[0].

For the application period, mentors should be able to discuss about tasks
ideas with applicants and draft a timeline for it. Its also appreciated if
they can find a low-hanging-fruit bug for applicants to take and fix.

For the internship period, you can arrange meetings, deadlines and every
other milestone you consider necessary with your mentee. There are no
constrains about it.

Feel free to reach me on irc.freenode.org in #openstack-opw if you have any
doubt or concern.

Thanks,

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OutreachProgramForWomen/Ideas