[openstack-dev] [glance] [trove] [heat] [nova] [all] Handling forwarded requests

Miguel Grinberg miguel.s.grinberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 17:30:20 UTC 2015

Ian, thanks for raising the issue here.

The X-Forwarded headers are the standard way to deal with URLs for services
behind proxies. I already commented on the Heat proposal to that effect, I
think that is the proper way to support services behind proxies.

Now in our case, there is also another source of external URLs, the
keystone catalog. One can assume the catalog has the externally visible URL
under PUBLIC_URL, so I would like to suggest that if the X-Forwarded
headers aren't present, the catalog would be a good second source.

I think having a hardcoded entry in the config (as the glance merged patch
does) is not a bad idea as an override for special situations, but I really
see no need for that to be the only solution to this problem. Web
applications have been working behind proxies using the X-Forwarded headers
for a long time, it's a nice and proven solution, in my opinion.

Miguel