[openstack-dev] [Glance] Core nominations.

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Mar 3 16:26:54 UTC 2015

So I’m +1 on giving these cores notice and perhaps voting on their removal
separately (as was recently done in another project or two).

Perhaps the way to compromise here would be to submit a change to the
relevant documentation in Glance outlining when a core can be removed (or
when the proposal to remove them can be made) including the fact that
existing cores are not exempt.

Detailing the process will be good for everyone, existing active cores,
existing inactive cores, and new cores (like myself). It will also give us
the ability to say to a new core “please keep these guidelines in mind and
understand that if your priorities change, we will remove you (without
malice) to keep the core list concise and to keep momentum at the desired
level.”

I have no issue discussing this proposal and having it land for Liberty. I
also do not see a reason why we shouldn’t reach out to those existing
inactive cores to explain to them the situation and ask them if they would
rather remove themselves before we vote to have them removed. I don’t
think any of them will disagree that they haven’t done the work necessary
to maintain core-status during Kilo.

To answer Nikhil’s questions:

I think Flavio picked out a handful of people as an example. I doubt he
deliberately skipped over some for any reason other than wishing to reply
quickly. Is there a list of people that have done little to no reviews and
submitted few if not any changes during Kilo that are currently cores? If
so, we should be answering the following:

- Who are they?
- How many of them are there?
- If they’re already inactive, how would removing them hurt forward
progress in Glance?
- Has anyone reached out to them individually?

I agree we should move forward in a way that will not alienate people, and
in a way that not only appears fair to everyone else, but is fair. I would
hope none of these people would take remove personally since Glance’s
continued momentum and progress is not a personal reflection on any of
them (it should only reflect those who are actively participating in the
project).