[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Plugins] Plugins manager as a separate service

Evgeniy L eli at mirantis.com
Tue Mar 3 16:12:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

Some time ago we merged a patch [1] for fuel client which allowed
to install plugins on the host system, it was a bad design decision
because by design fuelclient should work remotely from another
machine, but it was a good decision from UX point and there was
not time to implement it properly.

But it's not the end and recently we've merged another huge patch
[2] to fuelclient which allows to install plugins in new format.

As result we got a lot of complicated logic in fuelclient which works
on the host system only and should not be in the client.

Solution [3] is to implement plugin manager as a separate service
and move all of the complexity there, fuelclient will be able to use
REST API to install/delete/update/downgrade plugins.
In the same way as it's done for OSTF.

The only technical question which I have is how are we going to
install the packages from the container on the host system, ssh?

Thanks,

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/129215/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/157854/
[3]