[openstack-dev] [nova] Intended behavior for instance.host on reschedule?

Joe Cropper cropper.joe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:15:03 UTC 2015

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone can comment on the intended behavior of how instance.host is supported to be set during reschedule operations.  For example, take this scenario:

1. Assume an environment with a single host… call it host-1
2. Deploy a VM, but force an exception in the spawn path somewhere to simulate some "hypervisor error”
3. The scheduler correctly attempts to reschedule the VM, and ultimately ends up (correctly) with a NoValidHost error because there was only 1 host
4. However, the instance.host (e.g., [nova show <vm>]) is still showing ‘host-1’ — is this the expected behavior?

It seems like perhaps the claim should be reverted (read: instance.host nulled out) when we take the exception path during spawn in step #2 above, but maybe I’m overlooking something?  This behavior was observed on a Kilo base from a couple weeks ago, FWIW.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
Joe