[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Splitting out dib-core

Christopher Aedo caedo at mirantis.com
Fri Jun 26 17:57:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Gregory Haynes <greg at greghaynes.net> wrote:
> Hello TripleOers,
>
> At the last mid-cycle we briefly discussed whether we should have
> separate groups for tripleo and DIB core and decided it wasn't
> necessary. I would like to revisit that topic.
>
> It seems clear to me that we have some existing tripleo cores who are
> becoming less familiar with the tripleo project as a whole but are
> highly active in the DIB project. We also have new contributors who are
> fairly active in the DIB project but are not active in the other tripleo
> projects. I would really like a path where new contributors like this
> can become core on DIB but that isn't really an option right now with
> one core group for both tripleo and DIB.
>
> I'd like to propose we make a new gerrit group for dib-core and add the
> existing tripleo-core members to it (note: this is different than adding
> tripleo-core as a member group of dib-core, which is an alternative).
> This would mean that new tripleo cores would not automatically be DIB
> cores, and new DIB cores would not automatically be tripleo cores.
>
> Thoughts?

I personally think this is an excellent idea.  DIB is very useful
outside the context of TripleO, and is being used increasingly by many
other OpenStack projects.  Moving DIB into a new group I think would
be a benefit as allows potential contributors to consider it in a more
focused context rather than thinking about it as a triple-o component.
Ultimately I think the core groups here (OoO/DIB) would have some
overlap but would not be the same set, and it seems that change is
inevitable - why not create the new group now?

-Christopher