[openstack-dev] [packaging] RPM Packaging for OpenStack IRC Meeting

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 16:59:44 UTC 2015

On 06/12/2015 12:47 PM, Dirk Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of packagers from RDO and SUSE met today on IRC to kick off
> brain storming on unified upstream rpm packaging for OpenStack.
>
> Please note: there are currently two movements going on: RDO would
> like to move their Liberty packaging from github.com and gerrithub to
> openstack gerrit, and RDO and SUSE would like to collaborate on
> unified packaging. For the rest of the mail I'm only talking about the
> latter.
>
> The agreed goal is that by the time of the Liberty release, we have
> all something that anyone interested like RDO and SUSE can use for
> maintaining the packages for the whole Liberty maintenance lifecycle.
> For the rest of the meeting we were quickly explaining our setups to
> each other and shortly walked over the list of obvious differences
> that we need to work on.
>
> The meeting minutes have been captured here:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-rpm-packaging
>
> We're planning to have a followup meetings to work some more on the issues and
> are currently hanging out on #openstack-rpm-packaging on IRC.

I'm just kind of curious ... as both the RDO and SUSE folks look closer
at this, how big are the differences?  I could see one possible outcome
where the differences are significant enough that it would be less work
overall to just continue to treat them separately.  If instead it seems
the differences are minor enough that combining efforts is a win for
everyone, then that's even better, but I don't see it as the required
outcome here personally.

--
Russell Bryant