[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jun 2 22:41:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

This came up at the TC meeting today, and I volunteered to provide an
update from the discussion.

In general, I think there is a lot of support for a packaging effort in
OpenStack.  The discussion here has been great; we need to answer a few
questions, get some decisions written down, and make sure we have
agreement.

Here's what we need to know:

1) Is this one or more than one horizontal effort?

In other words, do we think the idea of having a single packaging
project/team with collaboration among distros is going to work?  Or
should we look at it more like the deployment projects where we have
puppet and chef as top level OpenStack projects?

Either way is fine, and regardless, we need to answer the next
questions:

2) What's the collaboration plan?

How will different distros collaborate with each other, if at all?  What
things are important to standardize on, what aren't and how do we
support them all.

3) What are the plans for repositories and their contents?

What repos will be created, and what will be in them.  When will new
ones be created, and is there any process around that.

4) Who is on the team(s)?

Who is interested in the overall effort?  Who is signing up for
distro-specific work?  Who will be the initial PTL?

I think if the discussion here can answer those questions, you should
update the governance repo change with that information, we can get all
the participants to ack that, and the TC will be able to act.

Thanks again for driving this.

-Jim