[openstack-dev] stable/kilo (and master grenade) will be blocked until version bumps on kilo are merged

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jul 30 09:07:36 UTC 2015

Alan Pevec wrote:
>> I think pushing them up earlier would indeed make it easier for folk.
>
> Indeed, but it's too late now.
>
>> But its not as good as using post-versioniing :)
>
> Agreed, after 2015.1.2 version bumps are merged, I'll propose version=
> line removals on stable branches so this situation doesn't happen
> again.

Err, no.

Post-versioning means all projects use semantic rather than date-based
version numbers, which happens starting with *liberty*. Remaining kilo
and juno stable releases will still need to use pre-versioning.

The way we did it in the past was to push the setup.cfg version=2015.1.2
bump BEFORE we tag, then once that is merged, tag the previous commit in
history as 2015.1.1. That way you avoid the lockstep (and ensure no
intermediary badly-versioned tarball can be produced).

Any reason why that wouldn't work anymore ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)