[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] setting minimum version of setuptools in setup.py

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 01:12:37 UTC 2015

I agree an error message is better than breaking for insane reasons.

But... maybe as an aside... what about not breaking?

How come the openstack ecosystem doesn't have wait for PEP 426 to be
approved and for setuptools 17.1 to be widely deployed before it can
require/depend on it?  Is there no failure/degraded case where we can take
advantage of moving forward in the infrastructure where we apparently need
it - but not necessarily force everyone else to upgrade if it's not
directly solving something for them (e.g. people doing packaging of
openstack projects, but don't personally necessarily currently maintain or
distribute a setuptools package)?

On the web this happens all the time "Sure maybe you can't get the newest
HTML5 wiz-bang, but I can still render something on IE8, OTOH, IE7, wow -
pls upgrade" vs. "How are you not even running setuptools 17.1 right now in
your build environment - it was *literally* released *almost* two months
ago!?  I... I can't even... it hurts to look at you."

Just Curious.

I only recently found out that PEP 426 was a thing, so I think it's pretty
great to see people driving the python packaging ecosystem forward.  For
those involved.  Kudos.

-Clay