[openstack-dev] [nova] Exposing provider networks in network_data.json

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Wed Jul 29 12:35:59 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:19:02AM EDT, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:56:10PM +0000, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 02:26:32PM EDT, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> > > For a little background, this patch came from code that is running in
> > > production today, where we're trunking two VLANs down to the host -- it
> > > isn't a theoretical use case.
> >
> > Have you taken a look at the vlan transparent API extension, or are you
> > using it currently?
> >
> > http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/liberty/vlan-aware-vms.html
>
> Yes, we're looking at it for the future, but our current code has been
> in production for about a year, before this work was even being looked
> at. I wonder if the best route is to defer this Nova work until the VLAN
> extension is completed in Neutron, or to support both eventually.

Just wanted to close the loop on this and mention for anyone in the
Ironic project who wasn't present at the Neutron meeting, that I
suggested this approach. I don't know if it will be the way to achieve
the feature, but it at least looked like the API sort of matched up with
what Ironic is looking for. We just have to see what progress has been
made on the vlan transparent API extension.

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/networking/2015/networking.2015-07-28-14.01.html

--
Sean M. Collins