[openstack-dev] [fuel] FF Exception request for Templates for Networking feature

Alexander Kostrikov akostrikov at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 28 08:29:43 UTC 2015

Completely agree with Sergey.

>Currently network template uses ERB [1] style template language,
but in fact it's Jinja [2], it was agreed to change it [3], no to confuse
the user

[1] - I just uses <% and %> to substitute values. That is not ERB style
template language.
[2] - We are not using Jinja templating (it is just yaml file, not html
template), we are using Jinja placeholder substitution. And in current code
we have a problem with content at first parsed from yaml and that parser
treats { and [ as a start if a dict or an array.
[3] - Templates are for people who do not care about Jinja/ERB (maybe some
familiar with Puppet/Chef), so no confusion.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Sergey Vasilenko <svasilenko at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Evgeniy L <eli at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> Currently network template uses ERB [1] style template language,
>> but in fact it's Jinja [2], it was agreed to change it [3], no to confuse
>> the user, with ERB which is in fact jinja and doesn't have any ERB
>> features.
>>

> we have not so much syntax choices for  convenient templating. Network
> temptales will be used by system administrators.
> The '<%  %>' pair is a de-facto standart in this area. In the puppet
> world. Not every system administrator will meaning ERB when seeing '<% %>'
> pair.
> Another pairs (i.e. '<$ $>' , '<< >>', etc) looks more
> non-standart. Plenty of syntax features are annoy and make usability of
> product less convenient.
> I propose do not make extra essences on the clean area...
>
> We never say in the docs about ERB. IMHO it's enough for leave '<%  %>' as
> is.
>

> /sv

Kind Regards,

Alexandr Kostrikov,

Mirantis, Inc.

35b/3, Vorontsovskaya St., 109147, Moscow, Russia

Tel.: +7 (495) 640-49-04
Tel.: +7 (925) 716-64-52 <%2B7%20%28906%29%20740-64-79>

Skype: akostrikov_mirantis

E-mail: akostrikov at mirantis.com <elogutova at mirantis.com>

*www.mirantis.com <http://www.mirantis.ru/>*
*www.mirantis.ru <http://www.mirantis.ru/>*